  • From: Christina Klahn <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 08:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

Ginger,

  I find it interesting that you bring this up.  There was a special on
National Geographic on Sunday morning that was on their Explorer program that
touched on what you mention.  It had to do with dogs in general and that
something like 90% of breeds have surfaced in the past 200 years.  All were
created as a response to what man needed.  Besides the "designer dogs," they
talked about 2 new breeds in particular in the world that have been created for
working purposes and that looks have nothing to do with the creation.  It's all
about if they can do the job.  They also mentioned that 1 in 4 purebred dogs
have genetic problems as a direct result of closed gene pools and temperament
was mentioned as one of the problems.  Brings about my issue with the ridge in
our breed of American vs. European and the "mine is better than yours"
attitude.  The gene pool is small enough without limiting our breeding programs
to just American or just European.  I would think it would be
 beneficial to both sides to mix and maybe, just maybe, create the ultimate GSD
with the best of both worlds, looks and temperament.

  If you can catch the special on again, I highly recommend anyone involved in
our sport watching it.  I don't know if it had a title since it was on the
Explorer program, but the website might have more information...

  Tina
  Illusion GSDs
  Msg: #4 in digest
From: "Ginger Cleary"
Subject: Re: Temperament
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:25:11 -0400

Unfit perhaps not... but I have seen many a cowhocked herding dog,
especially in Border Collies. I have a friend with a service dog that had to
have elbow surgery (not a GSD) due to elbow dysplasia.

Back before the advent of "breeds" and Standards, people bred based on
performance. If the dog(s) did the work they were more often bred from. To
some degree that still does happen. Even in the performance venues. Saw a
show some time ago where people were breeding Jack Russels with Border
Collies expressly for Flyball..

Ginger Cleary,Rome, GA ww.rihadin.com
The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human
hands, will ever be liable to abuse. ? James Madison
Member GSDCA
Member Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
GA Director Responsible Dog Owners of the Eastern States.