[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 07:48:42 EDT

Well, that's you and if everyone in the middle of the ring did the same we
wouldn't need a test.  How many times have you seen poor temperament
overlooked/rewarded?

As for socialization, I still think it's important.  I agree, it's not
going to change character, but I don't think it's quite fair for a dog to be
pulled out of a pen and thrown into van, wet down, blown out, handed off to a
 stranger, subject to bells, whistles etc. and be expected to show their
true  colors.  It might work, it might not.  Why leave anything to  chance?
Do you thing the horses that will start in the derby this weekend  have been
over to the paddock on non-race day a few times?  Do you think  they've
practiced in the gate??? (Rhetorical question; horses need a "gate card"
before
being eligible to be entered.)

I prefer to take a baby to a handful of classes, a handful of children's
sporting practices etc. and make everything fun.  And I've got house dogs
lol.  But not all dogs live underfoot, I get that.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 5/4/2011 9:13:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Temperament in our breed is most important, but the observer at a  F/M
islaughable. A knowledgeable and honest judge will determine a dog's
temperamentimmediately. I am so adamant about temperament in the GSD, that I
do
noteven feel that socialization is a viable option. A dog that has to be
socialized does not have the mind or instinctive character of a GSD.  Character
is
forever;training can  fail.
Carolyn
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.