[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament

  • From: RFWFORGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:19:27 EDT

A great example of the versatility of our German Shepherds.  Remember,
German Shepherds may serve in a wide range of capacities, from Guide Dog to
Police
Dog, all requiring different nuances and not so subtle differences in
Temperament.
Dick Whalen

Jericho German Shepherds
Remember, a Balance Dog has Letter before and after their  name.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 7/13/2006 9:38:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

A story  about temperament.
MANY years ago we had a big male GSD who was probably  the smartest dog I
have ever known.  The perfect family dog, and  trained extensively by my
husband; we really loved this dog.
I was  walking with him one day and he grabbed and killed a little
dachshund who  was running in the tall grass.  I feel he thought it was a
rabbit or  squirrel.  A week later he nipped  one of my son's friends,
just  barely breaking the skin.We were shocked by both these happenings,
as he  was a pretty mellow fellow as a rule.

We owned a resort at the time,  and could not take a chance on him doing
something to a guest.  We  called the Air Force, they came and looked at
him and took him  instantly.  He was a very impressive animal. To make a
long story  short, he excelled in the Air Force and was used for many
years to  demonstrate training techniques.  He lived to be 13, and worked
until  a month before he died.

Here is a case of a dog with unsuitable  temperament for a family pet,
but perfect temperament for work with those  who understood his training
and kept him controlled.  We saw him one  time when he was about 11, and
he knew us after all those years. I cried  my eyes out.
Doris  E