[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:53:13 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with this 100 percent. One other thing I would mention is that in
Germany you must have a Sch title to be shown. If we were required to have a
working title on our dogs before we could compete in the conformation ring I am
sure that you would see a big difference in temperaments and train ability. My
guess is that most American breeders don't have a clue as to what their dogs
could really do. Working titles are not what they want so their dogs are never
challenged. It makes a person wonder how much of the bad behavior is bottled up
frustration.
  Terry
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  Personally I think we still have a long way to go. Having just returned from
Germany and the Seiger Show it is difficult to describe the differences from
here to Europe.
You have to understand the difference in the National and the Seiger show to
get an inkling of the differences in the dogs. There are THOUSANDS of people
squeezed into a stadium, all of them shopping at about the same time during
breaks. There are dogs everywhere, of all ages, milling in the crowd. People
are CROWDED in like cattle at times.

The dogs are used to those kind of crowds. Step on one, or bump up against one,
and they just look at you and move. Talk to them and they look at you. In their
eyes you do not see aggression. You do not see fear. You just see an
intelligent animal looking AT you; making eye contact. It is almost
disconcerting. You almost feel as if you are in a zoo - and YOU are the one
behind the bars. I did not see one single 'golden retriever' temperament there.
Even the puppies, while friendly, were aloof to some extent. You might get a
tail wag but that was about it. The adult dogs are approachable - even when the
owners are distracted. Talk to them and walk up and put hands on. They just
stand there. No reaction AT ALL - no waggy tails, no aggression, no indication
that you are even there. Approachable but making NO overtures [sound familiar -
as in the standard?!] Even when the little kids want to faun over them they
just let it happen but don't really respond. None of
the ow
ners appear to be 'guarding' their dogs as we see a lot at AKC shows. [Before
you explode, I'm just as guilty as anyone else because thats what I saw coming
up in GSDs - a programmed response.]

If you truly want to see what the temperament of this breed is supposed to be
you have to see it in Germany. Lest you turn this into a German/American thing
I would say that PART of it could be the socialization and owner expectation.
Our dogs, for the most part, do not receive that type of socialization because
they have restricted public access. Additionally, these dogs are constantly
exposed to people and distractions during training. However, it can't all be
socialization.

My personal opinion is this ......... you cannot JUDGE a thing if you have no
point of comparison. Unless you have been exposed to both European and American
lines, you have no point of comparison other than other AKC breeds. We have
GREAT temperaments compared to other AKC breeds...............

Suzanne Kinman
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of BIS/BISS Ch Yancy ITs HT PT RE CD TC CGC BH, Helios IPO3, Ch Flair,
Tess [162 PLUS ROM points/55 ATAA points], Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner]
and all the others waiting at the bridge. Website updated 06/07

From: Barbara Galasso

> Hi everyone: I'm just curious...............I was wondering what
> everyone thought about the temperament in our breed today? Have we come
> a long way as far as improvement, or do we still need a lot of
> improvement in this area? Best wishes, Barbara
> P.S. I want to wish all of my friends who are showing at the Canadian
> National this week-end much success and a safe journey. I can't wait to
> hear the results!
>
> --
> Barbara J. Galasso

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?