[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How many of you...

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: ravencd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 08:16:57 -0500

My two cents.....

I have been lucky and only needed one c-section in all my years of breeding.
The bitch never started labor, so it was not because a pup was stuck, or she
got too tired during whelping.

The best advice I can give you, is know your bitch inside and outside.  If she
is too fat, whelping could be a problem.  If she becomes too tired from
straining for hours, you will have a problem.  You have to be able to read your
bitch's facial expressions and eyes.   I keep my bitches at a healthy weight
during pregnancy and I feel this helps alot.

Alot of reproduction vets are into c-sections, especially if the litter is
under three pups, or over eight pups in size.  Some insist c-sections are the
only way to go.  It also depends on the breed of dog.  I work at a Labrador
kennel ....English show Labs.  Talk about LAZY whelpers.  My GSD can whelp a
litter of ten pups in a little over six hours but the Lab could take a whole
day or longer.

With the anesthesia used today, c-sections are pretty safe for both mom and
pups when done correctly by a skilled and knowledgable vet.  I have watched two
c-sections done on Labs and the mom is up and walking around within minutes of
incision closure.  The pups come out not all drugged up like in the old days.
Of course, this all depends on the vet, too.  I have heard horror stories about
some vet emergency places and c-sections.

I would not hesitate to have a c-section done on one of my bitches if the need
arises but  I would be picky about who I let do the c-section.  I would not
schedule a c-section prior to allowing the bitch to attempt to whelp naturally,
unless something happened and we knew she couldn't whelp the litter at all.

Every breeder/owner is entitled to their own opiniion, and that is what we are
getting on this list.  We all have our difference level of dog experience.  I
still have horible thoughts racing through my mind just prior to and during
each whelping.  Mainly, I just let the bitch do what comes naturally to her,
and I help out if she needs it.  I am always right there when each litter is
born just in case she needs help.

You have to do what you are comfortable with.  Unfortunately, we cannot help
putting our human emotions into the mix of nature.  I am quite sure our bitches
are not as miserable during whelping as we are:)

Barb Hively