[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DJD ...??

  • From: "Theresa-GSD Stolz" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scenecrest" for DMARC)
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:37:21 -0700

I guess the answers would be of how many GSDs bred with DJD
that didn't pass on DJD in their pups or next generation.  Experimenting
usually is the only way to know for sure in each generation.  However, just
like GSDs with HD would you want to take the chance?

Would a breeder breed a GSD not certified with a passing HD grade on hips?

I would not want to purchase a GSD that did not have parents that have a OFA
passing or "a" Stamp
approval for hips. Imported GSDs I know are Elbow-Hips and DNA'd in Germany
before they come to
the USA. So do not know if their system is better than OFA but makes you wonder
doesn't it.

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 7/30/15, cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Over the years, I've had 3 different dogs diagnosed by the OFA with DJD1.  It
was always unilateral.  I've talked to a lot of breeders and Vets about this
and I was surprised to find that there have been so many dogs diagnosed with
unilateral DJD1.  Why is only one elbow affected so often?  All of these dogs
appeared to have perfect elbows as evaluated by the very experienced Vets
performing the x-rays, but the OFA said unilateral DJD1.   This leads me to
ask, does the OFA really have a handle on DJD1?  Or DJD in general?

Paulette

is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original author
permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group and its
any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html