[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DJD

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cashe90@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 01:38:20 -0500

When a dog is listed as having "just" DJD, it is caused over 90% by FCP
(fragmented/fractured coronoid process)​. The DJD is the end result, as
the FCP most often dissolves/is reabsorbed over time. When FCP is
specifically listed on an OFA report, it is due to the FCP either being: 1)
new enough to not be dissolved, or 2) a large enough piece that it won't be
reabsorbed by the body.
The verdict is still out as to the cause of FCP, as it can be both a
conformational defect/genetic weakness, or injury/trauma to the elbow.
However, USUALLY, when a dog has only ONE DJD elbow, it is not passed on as
strongly as when a dog has TWO DJD elbows (of any grade). When a dog has
TWO DJD elbows, it is more likely genetic than not, and the proof is in the
progeny; perhaps not in the first generation, but if not carefully bred
farther on, does show its ugly face on a regular basis.
I have never knowingly bred to a dog with TWO DJD elbows, but do not have
any problem breeding to a dog who has ONE DJD I elbow. I own a dog who has
one grade II elbow- but he also has a reason- he was attacked as a pup in
my own front yard by a neighbor's dog (claimed stray when I went knocking)
who grabbed my boy at 4 months old and fractured his skull, punctured his
sinus, and broke his arm in 4 places, including 2 breaks in his elbow. The
dumbass broke his cast one day trying to play with the other dogs and the
break didn't set well in the elbow/arm. Otherwise, I would NEVER use a
Grade II "anything" elbow, without a very good reason and proof to back
that reason up. I have found through my (and others') research that those
dogs with Grade II elbow/s DO pass bad elbows on in higher numbers than
those with Grade I elbows (again of any reason for the grading).
I say, one Grade I DJD elbow? So long as the family Hx is good, I would
Definitely use the dog for breeding; then breed the progeny accordingly- to
clean elbows only... Just in case it is a genetic reason that the parent
dog failed in the first place.
We have 20 years of elbow history to be able to use in our breeding program
decisions; one dog with one bad elbow is not reason enough for me to throw
the dog out!

Jen P & her Pack

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:44 PM, Channing Sheets <cashe90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It would depend on the cause. Is it immune mediated problem? Is it a
traumatic injury? If it was a traumatic injury or because it was tapped
for some reason and there was scar tissue. Absolutely I would still use
them. If it was a process or immune mediated issue no. Find out the cause
of the DJD.

Channing

------------------------------
From: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:31:00 -0400
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] DJD
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you had a dog that did not have ununited anconeal or coronoid process
but ofa said DJD would you still use the dog for breeding? I say no the
other breeder says yes.

--
Committed to the Total Dog You can be Proud of!!! JayDee's Proud-Haus
Shepherds/Proud K911 <http://www.jaydeesphs.com>