[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeders Code

  • From: "Linda Delarso" <jolingsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GermanShepherd4showlist" <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:47:32 -0500

With all this talk about the breeders code. I have a few questions.
First of all this 'superior GSD' guy isn't the first and won't be the last
GSDCA member  to sign the breeders code and then just do whatever they
please.  Soooo, How is this breeders code enforced? Before someone can
officially be a 'signer of the Breeders code' shouldn't there be some
checks? Maybe a president , board member or a couple of people just assigned
to this maybe from a local club? Check and see how the dogs are HOUSED? If
they are out side, Do they have shade, adequate shelter? Or do they even see
the light of day? Are they housed in crates 24/7 ?  Do they receive clean
water, quality food, breeding practices, referrals either vet, or a few past
buyers?

It just seems one of those things that people can advertise and it sounds
impressive, but what is behind it?

I think many of us probably know someone that is a 'signer' but either has
NO ETHICS or is not following the ethical way of treatment. And/or has false
advertising on their websites.

Where does the Breeders Code of Ethics  stand on this?

There should be some common sense basics , I am not talking a Kennel Natzi.

I Feel signing the Breeders Code is a big deal, and it should be. But you
are basically giving your word. To a lot of people unfortunately "their
word" MEANS NOTHING!

I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

Linda DeLarso

Narvon, Pa.

Jolin Shepherds

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras