[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeder's Code

  • From: Luanne Crinklaw <silvermoongsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:22:34 -0700 (PDT)

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. I totally agree with you 100%.
  Luanne

  I hope everyone is behind the move to develop a very "tight" breeders
 code
of ethics.  The code needs to be sent back to the drawing table until
 it is
aTOOL TO PROTECT OUR BREED.   It is a shame when well known breeders
 refuse
to take responsibility for their breeding when contacted by shelter or
rescue people  - and it happens.   Our PC Corresponding Secretary and
 our
chair for Health and Genetics receive all kinds of calls from innocent
people who have purchased compromised companions and receive no help
 from
the GSDCA breeder who sold said dog.   Is it any wonder we loose people
the breed?.
Let us develop a Breeder's Code of Ethics that has real teeth.  Let us
encourage the public & all buyers to purchase only from those who are
signers of the Breeder's Code of Ethics and let us have a sanction in
 place
for those who sign and then violate the Breeder's Code of Ethics. I DO
 NOT
BUY THAT THIS CANNOT BE DONE BECAUSE OF LEGAL RAMIFICATIONS.  OTHER
 CLUBS DO
IT - AND THEY ARE STRICTER ON MEMBERSHIP TO BOOT.  THIS IS A PRIVATE
SOCIETY.

It is a well known fact that those breed clubs that have adopted a
 strong
Code for both membership and breeders code have not become "elitists "
 but
to the contrary,  they have seen their breed grow, and thrive and they
 have
increased their membership with responsible people.

Please support the new research that will identity the marker for the
dreaded Bloat/Torsion.   Thank you Barbara Williams for your efforts in
getting Dr. Pletcher (sp) involved with the GSD on this issue.  We are
 all
indebted and grateful for your efforts.
Nancy Harper

Got a little couch potato?