[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeder's Code

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:44:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/07 6:52:30 PM !!!First Boot!!!, sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> But if a breeders code mandated an animal had to have OFA certification
> before breeding I wouldn't agree to that.

nor would i, sharon.  i have bred an ofa bitch to an ofa dog (both had
"solid" ofa pedigrees) and, oh my goodness, into my perfect world popped a
couple of
dysplastic puppies.  have also bred to a dog who was not ofa'd and had the
whole litter certify.  we can't turn breeding into a "perfect"science, just do
the best we can.  no one wants dysplastic dogs but, in all honesty, i would
rather see borderline hips than ever witness bloat or torsion again.
thankfully,
i have not dealt with the myriad of other disasters afflicting this breed.
it gets back to throwing the babies out with the bathwater - not a smart move.
and, as an aside, i am proud to have houston, via hot copy, in my pedigrees.
he had so much to offer.
diane
Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peak of the
all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>