[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeder's Code

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: barbmarkh@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 11:01:28 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara...after reading your post,  my impression of what you said was.....we
can't do anything about the problem, Americans don't like rules, so we should
keep doing things the way we've been doing them.......pigeons driving the
bus!...Ed Hill
barbmarkh@xxxxxxx wrote:   Is a stricter Breeder's Code kind of like singing to
the choir . . . .there are some people that will do everything by the book with
or without the book - and then we have those that won't even if they sign . .?
What penalty and enforcement procedures are you going to put in place to make
sure signers are adhering to the letter of the code??? And what is the
procedure for reporting those that sign and don't follow the rules , , , ,
?seems that since hundreds of thousands of GSD are breed and registered each
year and the membership of the GSDCA stays in the 3 to 4,000 range . .that we
are?a very small part of the community and is it better to keep a more open
membership with the idea that if they are a member we can work on influencing
them - or just keep them out because they won't sign or we have to throw them
out because they don't follow the rules. . . . And the GSDCA hasn't had the
best record at discipling those cases that have been brought
 to them . . .I can think of se
veral awful cases brought to them where they did nothing . . . . . . .And with
other registries available for?people to use - putting a dog on limited AKC
registration ?may not be as effective as in the past when other registries
weren't available.. In my area - I really haven't noticed a price difference
between the price of AKC puppies and that of?other registries (but then I live
in the SE which is definitely not like any other part of the country)? . . .?.
Do some people resist a stricter COE just because? (a) you can't legislate
morals or good behavior and (b) for the same reasons we have resisted following
the German club path of approved breeding's - as Americans -we just don't like
more rules and regulations (or laws)? or oversight -?
Barb