[ SHOWGSD-L ] Breeder's Code

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (AA GSD List)
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 19:25:46 +0000

The Breeder's Code is only as good as the people who sign it.  Anyone can sign
a document but without teeth that document is useless.
I purchased a bitch from a Breeder's Code signer.  She came to me loaded with
tapes, underweight, not house broken, shy, and I'm not even sure that the
photos I was sent are her.  Her "OFA PreLims' that I paid an extra $200.00 for
on top of the purchase price ended up being an OFFERED statement from a vet
saying she would OFA at 2 and an OFFER to send an exray to my vet via e-mail.
The exray could have been of any animal since she was not microchipped,
tattooed, and there was no identifying info on teh exray.  She was NOTHING as
represented.  The 'breeder' offered nothing to rectify the situation - even
refusing to answer the phone or e-mails.  I have considered spending the money
just to show her at the National so folks can see what I was offered as a show
bitch.  I still may!!!  The Breeder's Code offered no outlet.  I could bring
her up on charges but there is NO penalty built into violations.

I'm all for seeing teeth put into the code.  Just like AKC does - suspension,
fines, reimbursement, etc.
Then if you want to advertise you are a "signer of the Breeder's Code" it might
mean something.  Until then, let the buyer beware.
--
Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com