[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeder's Code

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: BARBMARKH@xxxxxxx, cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:19:08 EDT

I don't think either reason below is valid.  Of course you can't  legislate
morals, and just because you can't should that mean there's no  code?  (Try
getting that to fly at West Point or the Naval or Air Force  Academy.)  Then
again, these aren't "average" kids we are talking about,  are they?  Heck, we
had
an Honor Code for the NHS in High School.  I  WAS proud to follow it.  It
meant something.  I was part of an elite  group.  I want that same feeling in
dogs. BETTER THAN AVERAGE.  PART  OF A GROUP THAT'S NOT JUST ORDINARY.

THAT'S WHAT WE'RE MISSING!  To address another point in your post,  there's
something wrong when millers and BYBs get the same price for a puppy as  a PC
member who is a signer of the breeder's code. (And it doesn't happen here,  I
can tell you, even w/ a tight economy.)

As to your second point, we aren't following a path of approved breedings;
not even close.

And I don't care what you do to enforce it; don't send puppy buyers to
violators, have a review process which includes publishing names and grievances

then follow up after a review when something goes wrong, (like the  violations
in the back of the AKC Gazette), take Futurity points, ROM points  away, don't
let violators advertise that they ARE signers of the Code once they  have
broken their word ...whatever, these are just ideas off the top of my  head.
I'm
sure someone can come up with something.  (Oh, I can see  some of our
"guardians" cringing now, lol!)

Trying to be all inclusive certainly hasn't increased membership/entries,
has it?  Maybe if we were a tad more careful about what we stood for,
membership would mean something and people would actually put a value on being
signer of the code. Maybe we've gone too down the "live and let live"  path.

I see plenty of things that sicken me w/ club members.  I don't need  to go
to puppy mills to get disgusted.

In fact, I'm not near as disgusted w/ millers.  Unlike some of our
"guardians" they don't pretend to have the breed's best interest at heart.

I'm off to have a nice afternoon.  Tc,

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 5/10/2008 12:11:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
barbmarkh@xxxxxxx writes:

Do some  people resist a stricter COE just because? (a) you can't legislate
morals or  good behavior and (b) for the same reasons we have resisted
following the  German club path of approved breeding's - as Americans -we just
don't
like  more rules and regulations (or laws)? or oversight -?
Barb

favorites at AOL Food.