[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeder's Code

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>, <sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:22:07 -0400

Diane,
This is such a reasonable and responsible post.   Our breed has made great
strides in the hip department thanks to OFA and our GSD breeders.   Most
everyone wants OFA H&E and that is a good thing.   Just had two dogs
radiographer last week.    Interestingly this vet told of several dogs  (not
the names of the dogs or owners) that were given OFA numbers that he thought
would  not have been and then others that looked good and were NOT given
numbers.   But if the system is not perfect at least we can eliminate the
obvious.  Like Kathy and Diane there is concern and I wish we would focus
more on the General Genetic Health of our gene pool.    Spinal Problems,
EPI, Bloat, Infertility  etc are all out there. Unless one has a "long time"
background and knows the cause of death or can rely on information from
someone else,  we don't have the means to determine, for sure, what lines to
stay away from  so that we don't unknowingly double up on a disastrous
health gene. This makes it especially  difficult for the newcomer or novice,
who does not have the benefit of past knowledge.   Dogs that have bloated,
have surgery, are tied and put back at stud could potentially be  more of a
threat to our breed than border line X-Rays.  Here's hoping that everyone
will support the new program that Barbara Williams has been able to put
together.  Just imagine how great it would be if the Gene for Bloat could be
identified and we could predict if a certain dog or bitch carried that
deadly gene!!!
Houston was a special dog that stamped his progeny with the essence of GSD
breed type.