[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:45:16 -0500

At 04:18 PM 3/28/2012, you wrote:
Using the Microsoft program my experience is that you boot up into a virtual XP machine that is independent from the W7 machine. Separate file system, etc. If you want to move data around you might copy such files to a 'thumb drive' and then copy them over from that to the other 'machine'. Maybe there are some tricks of the trade to do this more directly but I don't know of them That's what I did for some limited data brought in from my laptop.

I had no problem with drivers for two HP printers and one Epson scanner with either W7 or the virtual XP machine.

John

My HP Laserjet 1100A (with sheet scanner) runs with a simplified driver supplied by Microsoft, but the scanner function is gone and Microsoft says that will happen. I have full functions with my HP Photosmart D110, however. I suppose that's because the new computer is by HP and they must have included drivers for the later versions of their printers.

HP surely didn't do anything about my old LaserJet which runs on a parallel port. It just prints, barely, using a simple driver provided in Windows 7. I like that printer, it's been with me for a long time.

Nothing recognizes my Canoscan.

I'll be very happy when Microsoft stops helping me with new and improved software.

DAW