[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:13:19 -0500

Hi,

Raw files ARE available from scanners, depending on the software and the
scanner.  They are (almost) exactly the same as a raw file from a digital
scanner.  What a raw "image" is, is an image that does not have setpoints
and tonal curves applied.  The difference in a digicam raw file (which
aren't *really* proprietary, per se) and a scanner raw file is, the scanner
raw file is "full" RGB, and the digicam raw file has not had the Bayer
pattern reconciliation done (has only one color per "pixel").

But, anyway, Mark etc. are perfectly correct, you can (typically) get raw
scans from a (decent) scanner.

Regards,

Austin