[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:57:43 -0300

I use an Epson 4490, it's very good for MF and acceptable for 35mm in
general, but there are better options for the small format. BTW, I'm
talking about  uses for prints up to medium size, for web images,
books and magazines and similars.

If you want a scanner to obtain quality prints to exhibit your
photographs at exhibition salons and keeping the right size according
the distance they will be seen, your minimal oprtion are the Epson
v700 and v750 to scan MF, you'd need a very good film scanner for 35mm
and most of them are no longer manufactured like Minolta, Nikon 9000,
Microtek (it seems an European version is still manufactured) and
others, if you get these models second hand in good condition, they
are excellent options for large resolution prints from 35mm format
film, but not any film scanner is better than a flatbed one today.

If you need very large resolution images only sometimes, any of the
scanners mentioned previously are good for MF, you always have the
option to send your film to scan by Imacons and drums scanners when
you need high quality at large sizes (and to use the right printer),
or you could use a good enlarger with an excellent lens for the same
purpose.-

Carlos