[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:11:13 -0300

Peter,  a raw file is a collection of unprocessed data. This means the
file has not been altered, compressed, or manipulated in any way by
the computer. Raw files are often used as data files by software
programs that load and process the data, the camera RAW is a type of
RAW file.
Being the scanner a type of dedicated digital camera, it  could work
similar to a camera, scanning RAW and saving the file as Tif or JPEG,
this is the way VueScan Standard edition works as I explained
yesterday, it scans RAW (VueScan RAW of course) and saves the files to
Tiff or JPEG according your choice.
VueScan professional edition also allows to save the RAW scanning as a
file,  the VueScan user's Guide says:
" You only need to save raw scan files if you foresee a need to
reprocess the image in a later session. In any case, VueScan always
keeps the raw data from the most recent scan in memory, so you can
always reprocess it without needing to rescan the image. The only time
you'll need to rescan the image is if you want to change the cropping,
scan at a higher resolution, or if you want to manually change the
exposure or focus". This is the point I also mentioned yesterday, that
Vuescan standard edition has an excellent Tiff from its own Raw
scanning and then I only find interesting the RAW file option to
process the frames for a pano, however  it's very useful if you do
batch scanning too.-
BTW, since the RAW files are unprocessed, they tend to be pretty awful.
Carlos