[rollei_list] Re: Rollei -Singapore

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:39:16 -0800

I worked as a consultant for Olivetti ATC here in Silicon Valley back in the 80's. I was involved in the design of the Olivetti PC as well as the writing of many of the low-level OS drivers. It indeed was a good machine even if I do say so myself...

I worked directly for Max Paley (who went by Greg Paley back then - Maximilian is his middle name, Gregory is his first).

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Paley_Max_1190804660.aspx

:-)

Jim

On Jan 9, 2009, at 7:56 PM, Robert Lilley wrote:

Pete,

The Olivetti built 6300s were like tanks - very finely built machines. The AT&T 6300 was my first PC - with MS DOS ver. 3.1 and the 8 mHz 8086 chip. I remember I did have to replace the motherboard within two years though and that ran me $600! I think I had that machine into the late nineties. The 7300 UNIX was found in a warehouse outside of Chicago - a guy was selling them in the early nineties for $25 each in unopened originial packaging. Mine is still mint in the box - never really used except to load the System V OS and see if it worked - which it does. I think I have an extra memory board for it as well. Naturally the documents and original 5.25 OS floppies are there too.

Rob