[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore)

  • From: Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:44:35 -0500

That worked!  :  )

On Jan 11, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

C'mon, folks, if you're going to bore us to death with tails of
ancient computers, at least warn us with an undated subject line...

Thanks,

Eric Goldstein
One of the Moderators

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> wrote:
At 12:58 PM 1/11/2009, you wrote:

Which, the 6300s? They had plenty of extra slots. Perhaps you are
remembering a different machine.

I have to admit I may be wrong on the model number. All I remember is that it was an Olivetti but marketed by an American company. I was demonstrating this computer to the UCSD Med School when the Challenger Disaster so puts
Jan 28, 1986 ad the date of the demo and the accident.

Maybe it didn't have space for a hard drive, just don't remember the issue. I do recall that the Olivetti, whatever model it was, was black, compact,
and well made.  I think we sold maybe 1 or 2 of them but not to UCSD.
Wasn't it marketed as an AT&T machine?

I think it was a bit pricey also: "The base model AT&T 6300, with 128K RAM, two 360K floppy drives, one serial port, one parallel port, and monochrome monitor costs $2495. The hard disk version, with 256K RAM, one floppy drive,
one 10Mb hard disk drive, and a monochrome monitor costs $4420."

In any case I do remember liking the computer, just couldn't sell them.

DAW