[rollei_list] Re: Rollei -Singapore

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:09:43 -0600

At 12:58 PM 1/11/2009, you wrote:

Which, the 6300s? They had plenty of extra slots. Perhaps you are remembering a different machine.

I have to admit I may be wrong on the model number. All I remember is that it was an Olivetti but marketed by an American company. I was demonstrating this computer to the UCSD Med School when the Challenger Disaster so puts Jan 28, 1986 ad the date of the demo and the accident.

Maybe it didn't have space for a hard drive, just don't remember the issue. I do recall that the Olivetti, whatever model it was, was black, compact, and well made. I think we sold maybe 1 or 2 of them but not to UCSD. Wasn't it marketed as an AT&T machine?

I think it was a bit pricey also: "The base model AT&T 6300, with 128K RAM, two 360K floppy drives, one serial port, one parallel port, and monochrome monitor costs $2495. The hard disk version, with 256K RAM, one floppy drive, one 10Mb hard disk drive, and a monochrome monitor costs $4420."

In any case I do remember liking the computer, just couldn't sell them.

DAW