[rollei_list] Re: Rollei -Singapore

  • From: Shannon Hong <triode12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:23:04 +1100

Singapore in the early 70s was a very young developing country (the country
only gained independence in 1965) and the government was keen to attract
foreign investment into the country.

Under the country's Pioneer plan, companies willing to setup factories in
Singapore were given tax incentives. Rollei like many others, chose to tap into
the cheap labour and low running costs of the country at the time.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> wrote:

At 08:09 AM 1/9/2009, Emmanuel wrote, in part:From DAW:Rollei 35- A few years
back I attended a book signing by David Breashears, the man who did the IMax
film about climbing Mount Everest.  He spotted a Rollei 35 in the audience and
had the owner come up.  Breashears really praised the camera and said it was
his favorite for climbing (that special IMax he took up the mountain was
clearly not a favorite, just something he had contracted to use).  He thought
the Rollei was rugged, reliable, and just a very fine piece of equipment for
rough use.  I have always wanted to have one but it's never been in our budget
and will most likely never be.On an un-related subject, I had just had a
pulmonary blood clot and was recovering nicely, and I mentioned to him that my
O2 sat. had been as low as 65% which I thought earned me some bragging rights
for survival.  He countered with his experience that it runs about 55% on the
mountain.More notes at end of this-

The transfer of amateur cameras & projectors to Singapore was a  major decision
taken by the Rollei management in the seventies. At the time the boss was Herr
Peesel, followed by Herr Peter Peperzak, then by Heinz Wehling.At a time when
all European and German companies manufacturing amateur cameras had to close
down (the most famous example was the Zeiss-Ikon plant in Stuttgart closed down
in 1972), the Rollei decision can be considered as adventurous but if you
compare with the UK or France where almost everything photographic was
destroyed by the Japanese competition, the Rollei example, in a sense, is
admirable.
It is always easy to criticize a corporate management afterwards. Now this is
part of the history of the European photo industry and we can discuss it like
historians.Regarding the Rollei 35, I can say that the transfer of
manufacturing to Singapore was a real success. I'm still using several Rollei
35-s TE and SE made in the 1980s in Singapore, the cameras perform incredibly
well both mechanically and optically. They need the occasional
Clean-Lube-Adjust procedure like for any Compur shutter, but otherwise those
Singapore-made cameras are, IMHO, as reliable and fascinating as classical
twin-lens rolleiflex made in Braunschweig.--Emmanuel from FranceInteresting
thing about Singapore.  HP transferred manufacturing AND support of the 200LX
palmtop, maybe even the 100LX, to Singapore and they did a credible job until
the product was discontinued.  (I had to upgrade to the 200 from the 100
because the serial port speed of the 100LX was incredibly slow and the
engineers at HP told me it would never get better).  I was using the computer,
at that time, to download data at clients sites for conversion from Unix to
other OS's.  I had all of 10 MB but that was sufficient.  Now these little jobs
can take 1 Gb with a third party driver, even though they are all
DOS-based.DAW-- Peter KÓ¿Õ¬
Messenger's gift to you! Download free emoticons today!
http://livelife.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=669758