[rollei_list] Re: Rollei -Singapore

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 18:50:11 -0600

At 05:50 PM 1/9/2009, you wrote:
One really has to think about this in these days of cheap 1Tb drives and 64Gb (and larger) finger-sized flash memory. The prices for new computers at Fry's lately have been rather shocking: one can buy an economy computer for not much over $200 and a deluxe computer for well under $1000, that is, complete with KVM.* These also have RAM in huge quantities which would have been unthinkable only a few years ago.

Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not to play one-up but I also got a 1TB drive, I think maybe from Frys before I left, or by mail since I got here. In any case it's a WD "My Book" and I don't remember the price but it was reasonable for me. It's a central backup for this machine "HULK", for "Kathy" and "Laptop".

Those two later machines are on a wireless router controlled by OneCare and they even have access to the central backup and to my printers, as I have access to Kathy's printer, although her ink has dried up from non-use. Typical of the HP printers. I just got a Kodak printer and will see how that works out, based on their claim of cheaper printing and pigmented inks.

Yes, I miss Fry's but haven't checked their "Outpost" website lately. As I recall their website doesn't match the prices in their big 2 page ads, though.

*To me KVM means a switch to share the keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I bought one at the insistence of a client but it always had lockups when I switched.

One final thought- I used to make a market in San Diego in 64 K ram chips. Funny how things change.

DAW