[rollei_list] Re: Rollei -Singapore

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:31:42 -0500

The 3B1 machines I think were a variant of the 7300 UNIX PC which had that strange wedge shape . The larger 3B2 machines were modular with a separate monitor, CPU and keyboard. The 3B2 was used definitely used for telephone switching. In the late nineties a friend of mine gave me one of these along with a lot of documentation. A few months later, I received a rather strange call from Amdahl out in Sunnyvale, CA. They had found out that I had all this 3B2 documentation and wanted to borrow most specifically the machine language book with the instruction code set. It seems that there were still a lot of 3B2 still providing the switching function at that time and they were falling apart. Rather than rewrite all the applications for another platform, Amdahl's approach was to come up with a 3B2 simulator for the PC Intel chip set and this was why they needed the machine language instruction set. I sent it off to them with the caveat they would provide me with the simulation when they were done. About a year later I got the books back with a note that Amdahl had abandoned the project. I got rid of all the 3B2 stuff early on in this decade.

The 6300 was DOS based and as Peter said, had plenty of expansion slots. I remember that the CGA card was kind of a part of the mother board and AT&T had its own proprietary EGA/VGA cards to use with that great color monitor (for the times) of theirs. I always thought the 6300 was a superior machine to IBM's XT.

Rob

On Jan 11, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Peter K. wrote:

Which, the 6300s? They had plenty of extra slots. Perhaps you are remembering a different machine.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> wrote:
At 09:56 PM 1/9/2009, you wrote:
Pete,

The Olivetti built 6300s were like tanks - very finely built machines. The AT&T 6300 was my first PC - with MS DOS ver. 3.1 and the 8 mHz 8086 chip. I remember I did have to replace the motherboard within two years though and that ran me $600! I think I had that machine into the late nineties. The 7300 UNIX was found in a warehouse outside of Chicago - a guy was selling them in the early nineties for $25 each in unopened original packaging. Mine is still mint in the box - never really used except to load the System V OS and see if it worked - which it does. I think I have an extra memory board for it as well. Naturally the documents and original 5.25 OS floppies are there too.

Rob

I sold a few of those early Olivetti's but they didn't have any expansion room at all. Same for that AT&T Unix series, 3B2 I think they were. Expansion cost a bundle and they were really slow. I think their big brothers were used for telephone switching and were very reliable but I never had a good sale of one of their smaller machines.

DAW

--
Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬