[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:30:23 -0400

At 01:57 PM 9/3/2009, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
>I have sometimes used the diffusor on my 3.5F lightmeter, up to the
>selenium cells started to fail two years ago.

First, Carlos, it is extremely unlikely that your cell "failed". F&H used cells made by Gossen, and these are really high-quality cells and are quite well sealed. Selenium cells almost only fail from water leakage. As long as they remain sealed, they will have a life of more than a century.

Second, you probably have a misaligned or broken linkage. Selenium cells need a fairly complex linkage to multiply their electrical output and these linkages can be fragile.

Third, I believe that new cells can still be supplied for the F meters. At least, the Rollei Club on Jersey was still hawking them a few years ago.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!