[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 15:22:10 -0400

According to the specs, it seems to have a selenium photovoltaic cell, like its predecessor. I have no idea what is an "amorphous silicon light sensor." In any case, none of the L-398 models nor earlier ones all the way back to the original Norwood Director ever need batteries.

On Sep 6, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Sanders McNew wrote:

Carlos, thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure it responds
to my question.  The new Studio Deluxe (the L-398A
as opposed to the old L-398M) replaces the selenium
sensor with one made of "amorphous silicon," which
does not require a battery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435535-REG/ Sekonic_401_399_L_398A_Studio_Deluxe_III.html#features

This appears to be a different type of sensor from the
older silicon designs that required a battery.  Any
further thoughts?

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:28:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

Selenium cells produce a small current in response to light that mimics the response curves of film better than CdS and Silicium/Silicon cells and selenium cells don't require batteries, however CdS and Silicon cells are better to measure very low light conditions, CdS and silicium/Silicon cells can measure a wider EV range than selenium cells, f.e. 0 to 18EV or 1 to 20 EV against 4 to 17EV for selenium cells. Since the selenium cells produce energy according the light they are receiving, they are not so good for very low light conditions and they lose precision from EV 8 to lower EV readings.

Carlos
--- El sáb 5-sep-09, Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Does anyone know whether there is any
reason
to prefer the newer Sekonic Studio Deluxe meters
that use amorphous silicon (whatever that is) in
place of the selenium sensors found in the older