[rollei_list] Re: Kodak Portra 400 120 and Pro Image 100 35mm

  • From: Richard Urmonas <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:56:07 -0700

I would second the suggestion for a simple loupe to assist with focus.
If you can find a type which can sit on the screen and be
focused to your eye it will be the least troublesome to use. For
very critical focus I have also used a "pocket microscope". Also
experiment a bit with screens, I have found that a simple ground glass
gives me the most repeatable focus, though not necessarily the
fastest. You will need to find what works for you.

Richard Urmonas

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 18:21:24 -0400
Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Nancy -

For focusing, I'd suggest you try placing a cheap Carson or Kalt loop
on the ground glass.

I'd also suggest a nice bright screen... more light helps.

Eric Goldstein

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 5:39 PM, `Richard Knoppow
<dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had tri-focals but not progressives in the past. They were
helpful for my work (TV engineer) but were not very satisfactory
for driving and I sometimes fell over my feet. Modern ones are
perhaps better or maybe its just me.

On 7/25/2015 2:28 PM, rocketmanpm . wrote:

Those progressives should resolve the close distance just fine at
the bottom of your eyeglass. Besides, it's right where you would
want it, since the camera is held near the body anyway. Are you
saying you still have problems reading aperture/time wheels or are
you just new to your eyeglasses?

On 25 July 2015 at 14:09, Nancy Kennedy <njkennedy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Carlos, I just wanted to acknowledge how much I enjoy your posts,
which are consistently informative. I just read your latest
missive out loud to my husband (he owns a Lumix so he doesn't
subscribe) and showed him your latest posts. I feel as if I have
a friend in Argentina! Thank you again.

For the group: I have an issue with my newly purchased Rolleiflex
Xenotar 3.5F - my eyes. I'm 60 and use eyeglasses. It's been
years since I used any camera due to my eyesight. No matter what
I'm doing, time of day or lighting, I have trouble manually
focusing and reading the small letters on the dials. I just
bought new glasses (progressive trifocals with adjustments for
astigmatism), but they did not help much. Does anyone else have
this problem? Should I give up hopes of ever being successful
with a TLR?

Nancy