[rollei_list] Re: Kodak Portra 400 120 and Pro Image 100 35mm

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:08:51 -0700

Progressive lenses are sort of wedge shaped. I think most are arranged so that they focus for distance through the top and focus closer toward the bottom but they could as well be ground in the opposite direction for people who want them that way. I have never had progressives, however, I had tri-focals for a while and found them very annoying so never did that again. I also never tried bi-focals. I would rather have different glasses for different distances. I find the loss of accomodation more annoying and inconvenient than just the nearsightedness alone. Loss of accomodation comes with age. It varies among people but is inescapable. When I began to use a Rollei (Rolleicord) in highschool I could focus pretty sharply at moderate distances and could also focus on the finder screen and the setting windows. That began to get tough in my late twenties when I discovered I needed glasses to drive especially at night. Fortunately, I still have pretty good vision despite nearly three-quarters of a century at the same old stand. Now my hearing is a different story: not happy for someone who used to be a hi-fi expert.

On 7/26/2015 6:23 PM, Nancy Kennedy wrote:

Hello Ferdi, as well as everyone else who replied to my inquiry.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. I feel encouraged.

Ferdi, my understanding of progressives is that they don't have a definite transition between the three areas, and that helps because the transition line can obscure the vision.

Nancy