[rollei_list] Re: Kodak Portra 400 120 and Pro Image 100 35mm

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 14:36:41 -0700

Hello Nancy, first I very much agree with you about Carlos's posts and photos.
I am near sighted. As I have become older I have lost all ability to focus but at the same time the modest astigmatism I had pretty much went away. My eyes focus at different distances. I used to be able to read without glasses but now must have a couple of pair of cheap reading glasses around everywhere. Fortunately, I can still see the finder in a TLR pretty well but often resort to the magnifier. The magnifiers in the cameras I mostly use are close to being the correct diopter but is is a bother to have to work it when I am shooting. I don't know a good solution to this. It is further complicated because I often wear contact lenses so must use reading glasses or corrector lenses of different diopters than with naked eyes. I have two corrector lenses for my Nikon F because of this.
I have thought of getting a monocle but they don't seem to be available. I don't mind looking like Peter Whimsey if it will help. I am sure we are not the only Rollei fans with this problem.
You are aware I am sure that the 3.5F is an exceptionally fine camera.

On 7/25/2015 2:09 PM, Nancy Kennedy wrote:

Carlos, I just wanted to acknowledge how much I enjoy your posts, which are consistently informative. I just read your latest missive out loud to my husband (he owns a Lumix so he doesn't subscribe) and showed him your latest posts. I feel as if I have a friend in Argentina! Thank you again.

For the group: I have an issue with my newly purchased Rolleiflex Xenotar 3.5F - my eyes. I'm 60 and use eyeglasses. It's been years since I used any camera due to my eyesight. No matter what I'm doing, time of day or lighting, I have trouble manually focusing and reading the small letters on the dials. I just bought new glasses (progressive trifocals with adjustments for astigmatism), but they did not help much. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I give up hopes of ever being successful with a TLR?

Nancy