[rodgersorganusers] Re: New Organ Blues

  • From: Al Murrell <tam6111949@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 03:34:49 -0800 (PST)

Tom, you are correct.  I sold Wurlitzers, Gulbransen
and Rodgers in San Diego in the 70s.  As a
Wurlitzer/Gulbransen dealer, I was a franchised dealer
for those companies.  As a Rodgers dealer, it is not a
franchise - I am a manufacturer rep.  As
manufacturers, Rodgers and Allen are NOT in the
pricing business to the end user.  I, as the dealer,
am THEIR customer.  The end user is MY customer - so
to speak.  Not quite that well defined.  As best as I
can tell, the manufacturer really has no interest in
setting industry prices .  Allen did at one time have
what was called a Lehigh Valley Price sheet and
although I think it still exist, it is not published.
When I was selling Wurlitzers and Gulbransen, we would
put placards on the product with the prices.  In
general, at least in my store, these prices reflected
industry standard markups.

However, in the piano business, because there were so
many piano stores in the 70s, the prices put on pianos
were greatly inflated well above the standard markup
in comparison to organs.  Was much like the jewelry
business or furniture business markups.  Those prices
were not reality as you would see sale prices of 60
and 70 percent off type stuff.  Made no sense.  What
was the real price.

Now the home organ business is doing much the same.
Kawai and Yamaha and Roland organs are so highly
inflated and these multi line stores are ripping off
the retired folks with unbelieveably inflated prices
offering lifetime club memberships, lessons for life,
tradeups, etc.  Organs that cost 10K being marked at
50K etc.

So what is the purpose of a price list if the list
does not represent some level of standard pricing
based on reasonable markups.

As a manufacturer rep, each dealer could have his or
her own price sheets.  Whose should we publish.  The
manufacturer is not going to publish one.  Not their
job.

Al
--- Tom Hoehn <thoehn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sue et al;
>
> I am neither a dealer or customer, however I believe
> that a base price
> should be available with the addendum that prices
> are subject to change and
> do not include the cost of installation or delivery.
>  I understand that each
> instalation is unique  -- however the price of the
> unit itself should be
> readily available.  When I sold Wurlitzers -- the
> price was posted and
> didn't include taxes or delivery -- benches were
> included as was a large box
> of music.  The prices were available from many
> different sources -- in fact
> I used to have a little pamphlet that listed every
> instrument in every
> finish with the MSRP.  Just the price of the unit --
> dealer extras were
> quoted at the time the sale was closed.
>
> Just my .02 worth.
> Tom Hoehn, Organist
> http://theatreorgans.com/tomhoehn
> Roaring Twenties Pizza and Pipes (substitute)(4/42
> Wurlitzer)
> First United Methodist Church, Clearwater, FL (4/98
> Ruffati/Wicks/Rodgers)

CFTOS/Manasota/OATOS/HiloBay/CIC-ATOS/VotS-ATOS/Dairyland-ATOS/AGO