[rodgersorganusers] Re: New Organ Blues

  • From: "Jonathan Orwig" <giwro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:50:51 -0800

As one who has worked in the music industry before, I have to chuckle....

Every manufacturer has their "mark" i.e. what they will sell to a dealer
for.
There was a day when musical instruments could be sold for quite a
considerable markup - that margin HAS narrowed, however.

Having said that, my business guru told me that I should ALWAYS make
AT LEAST 35% if I wanted a viable business.  I know folks in the music
industry (yes, Virginia, E-orgs too) who made a 60% (and sometimes higher)
For the math challenged, that means they made $6000 on a $10,000 sale.
(or, to put it another way - paid $4000 and sold for $10,000)

I can see both sides of the coin - as a former businessman I'd like to
preserve
the perogative of charging what the market will bear (within reason).  Now,
as a
lowly consumer once more, I'd really like to know if I'm being stiffed,
'cause
I KNOW it happens soemtimes.

Here's a thought that might mollify both "sides" as it were:

If Rodgers has national figures for dealer profit, add those together and
figure the national
average.  Add 10% for those who really think they should make more than
average, tack that
percentage onto the dealer cost and advertise that as the List Price.

You see, I don't believe that businesses exsist to benevolently supply me
with what I want
at marginal or no profit - I believe they have a right to make an honest
buck.  Go ahead, sell me that
$1200 item for $2000 and make your 35-40% JUST DON'T GOUGE ME for 60-70% and
sell me
a $1200 item for $4000

So, let's assume the list price will be $2000.... how much DOES the dealer
pay?

Give it a rest.... you'll only ever know if you become a dealer yourself....

Cheers,

Jonathan