[roc-chat] ROC Launch Control System

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 18:03:22 -0700

The following is my observations and opinions.  I've had a couple people
advise me on wireless launch control systems, and safety of launch systems
in general.  I really appreciate the feedback.

*The Current System:*
I believe the launch system that ROC has now should last at least several
more years *as long as it's taken care of*.  We looked at the breaks in
outer insulation on the cables this weekend at the trailer cleaning
meeting.  BTW: Thank you volunteers at the meeting!  One interesting
observation when the tape used to repair the breaks in the insulation was
removed; the tape adhesive had attacked the insulation and the core wires
were exposed in many places.  However, the insulation on the core wires
seemed to be OK, and the new adhesive lined cross-linked heat tape worked
well.  So, going forward, no more using duct or graft tape to repair breaks
in the insulation.

General Rules about Handling the Cables:

1. No more dragging cables.  That is, taking both ends and dragging the
cable across the lakebed.  This damages the outer insulation and could
damage the core wires.
2. When the cables are deployed or reeled in, someone needs to walk with
the connectors.  The connectors should never be dragged across the lakebed.
3. We have been placing an end with the connector through the spindle on
the reel to start reeling in the cable.  Kinking the end in this manner
creates a lot of stress on the end of the cable and the connector.  Instead
the cable should be looped around the spindle a couple times until there's
enough friction to hold the cable, then it should be reeled in.  Also, if
we do this, the connector will not 'snap' out of the spindle when the cable
is deployed.
4. If you are helping to deploy or reel in a cable, please take your time
and don't hesitate to mention when you see someone doing something that
could damage equipment.
5. The connectors to the boxes should only be made by experienced people
and never forced.  Bent or damaged pins on these connectors is a really bad
thing.

If everyone is careful, there's no reason this launch control equipment has
to be replaced anytime soon.  Let's protect this important investment!

*Wireless System:*
These types of systems (particularly multi pad systems) are just being
developed and there's not a lot of experience using them.  If we had to
obtain a new system today, I would suggest a wireless system because of the
savings on the weight and cable cost.  But we don't need a new system
currently, so let's see what's developed over the next couple of years and
listen to their experiences.  In the meantime, we can save for a system so
when ROC's ready, we'll have the money for a safe and reliable system.

For me, my 'dream system' would look something like this:  A small control
box would be located at each launch pad that would be the receiver for a
computer based wireless system.  The LCO would launch rockets using a
computer and daylight monitor connected to a powerful (over 2,500' range)
wireless transmitter.  The pad control box would have a shunt and power
switch controlled by the person loading the rocket and be located on a
ground stake that would also have the pad number sign.  There would be both
audible and visual arm signal on the box and it would also have a
connection for a larger battery if necessary (i.e. more firing amps).  So,
no central control boxes, just place the launch control box with the pad
number sign were you want a pad, attach the launch leads with clips, and
away you go.  This would allow for any kind of spacing on rows.

Richard Dierking