[roc-chat] Re: ROC Launch Control System

  • From: James Dougherty <jafrado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:24:21 -0700

Great thread....

Yeah, I agree -- The big problem is hauling cables ...

One thing I've pinged around with Ron is the idea of a Wireless relay.
It would hookup to the existing ROC/TCC relay boxes and just act
as a cable replacement.

Maybe this year Ron and I can do something with his existing design;
a lot of work has gone into that and even though I love the idea of all
digital design, the fact of the matter is that it doesn't work out that
well in our launch environment.

In the real world, I do wireless embedded systems for a living so I could
help, I already have hardware and software which could do all of what you
guys are describing ... the problem is time, and I have none until early
next year ...

Richard, why don't you guys work on a spec? .... it's one thing to cobble
together a board in the garage or lab, but a completely different
thing altogether
to do a real PCB schematic, layout, fab, assembly, bringup/debug -- a design.

design is everything -- anyone can write code or design hardware, but a design,
one which stands the test of time and works out on the playa with the
"Gorillas in the Mist" (as Ron calls them) -- that's a totally
different ballgame.

Last but not least, safety is priority #1, I would want triple redundancy and
large hamming distances on authentication codes ...