[roc-chat] Re: ROC Launch Control System

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:26:14 -0700

The most important safety feature is having the shunt/power switch
(mechanical switch) at the pad with a visual and audible warning that the
pad is armed.  This puts the responsibility for safety back in the hands of
the person loading their rocket.

I think having a continuity check at the pad is a good thing, but don't
think the continuity check at the LCO for a high-power rocket pad is that
important.  If the rocket doesn't go when the button is pushed and there's
continuity at the pad, it's a recycle and the igniter must be checked.  If
the rocket doesn't go and there isn't continuity, the igniter must be
checked.  So, really what's the value of having a continuity check if the
rocket doesn't launch?

Regarding the battery, it shouldn't take a large battery for the individual
launch pad controllers.  We launch 6 rockets all day using a 12 volt gel
cell 7 Ah battery.

Regarding the front row and model rocket pads, these could still use
cables.  However, I think that some kind of digital system using Cat 5
cable would be better.  It's not expensive cable to replace if necessary,
and a lot easier to deploy and hook up.

If ROC budgeted to save $2000 per year (approx $175 per launch), this would
probably be enough money to develop a wireless system and go wireless for
the high-power pads in approximately 3 years.

Richard