[roc-chat] Re: ROC Launch Control System

  • From: "Ron McGough" <rrmagoo7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:52:44 -0700

Richard,

One big question,

Has there ever been a rocket accidentally launched due to a failure of the ROC
Launch System?

Answer: NO! All accidental launches have been caused by lack of knowledge of
the RSO and or the Owner of the rocket. To my knowledge there has never been a
"misfire" of the ROC Launch System since it was built in 2001.

As for the layout of the launch system being rows of 6 spaced apart. This
concept was arrived at after much thought and planning by a group of BOD
members. Originally it was supposed to be 6 pads all with a minimum of 10 ft.
between them, original launch leads were cut at lengths of 30', 20', 10', 10',
20', 30',in that order, these lengths enabled the 2 pads at the center to be at
least 10 feet apart and then the rest of the pads were supposed to be set up at
10 ft. intervals. These lengths have changed as the years have passed due to
shorter leads and the people doing the set up not knowing the proper layout.
Why do we need coils of excess wire laying on the ground behind the pads when
if the pads were laid out properly the wires would be the correct length?

The ROC launch system was built with Safety and the ability to supply 30amps of
power maximum to each launch pad. It was built with the idea that it would last
for many years with almost trouble free operation (which it has). The control
cables have lasted as planned and would still be in good shape had they had the
proper treatment and not been driven over by ATV's and Vehicles. But alas some
people just can't seem to figure out that you shouldn't try to shove a square
peg in a round hole and that is why the cable connectors are in the shape they
are. As for the LCO control boxes we never had any trouble with them until the
system was left out in the rain a couple of years ago.

The funny part about all this is that TCC's new launch system (24 pads) is
built on the same concept for it's ability to safe and arm 30amps of power to
each pad. They also use a larger 33amp hour sealed lead acid battery so that
they are able to launch multiple large scale rockets using high amp igniters
simultaneously for the whole weekend without fear of the battery going dead.

Enough for now,

Ron McGough