[roc-chat] Re: ROC Launch Control System

  • From: "Chris Feenstra" <chris.feenstra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:41:02 -0700

Comments concerning a possible new launch system:

1.       The existing launch system is a non-digital, analog system. It uses
switches, relays and some solid state devices (transistors, optical
isolators, etc). It is relatively simple, and it has proven to be very
reliable and safe. We would have to be having serious problems with the old
system, and we would have to have a very good replacement to make it worth
replacing the old system.

2.       If we were to replace the launch system, I would suggest a phased
approach. Perhaps have the old and new systems side by side for a few
launches while we test and verify the new system. Or we should develop the
new system for a few away pads, and once we are ready, and the new system is
up to it, expand it as needed.

3.       I do not consider having individual wireless launch pads to be
practical. This would require each pad to have a battery and a wireless
launch receiver. This would be costly. It would also mean that the range
head would have to maintain communications with 54 wireless launch
receivers, instead of 9. (Assuming the new system matches the existing
system which handles 54 pads).

4.       I would consider unidirectional communication from the controller
to the receivers only to be unacceptable. I would want the controller to
know the status of the receivers, and be able to report any faults or loss
of communications.

5.       Shunt and power switches do not prevent rocket launch if the
switches are set for a rocket launch and the wireless receiver decides to
launch. Any system would have to be built to minimize risk of launches when
we don't want them.

6.       As for launch system safety, the greatest risk is if the launch
system launches when it isn't supposed to. There are ways to minimize this.
I would include:

a.       Two way communications so that the controller can monitor the
status of the pad receivers. This would include the status of the receiver
(the state of every launch pad), the battery voltage, etc. If the controller
did not receive status for too long, or detected a status that is different
than it should be, it could alert the LCO and try to force the receiver to
go into a "failsafe" mode, with all relays off.

b.      A "heartbeat" circuit that the CPU would have to reset periodically,
as it cycles through its tasks. That way, if the CPU hangs, the heartbeat
circuit could detect this. It would then force the receiver into a
"failsafe" mode with all launch relays off, and perhaps reset the CPU. The
circuit would also make sure that the launch relays are all off while the
CPU boots or reboots.

7.       The launch receivers should:

a.       Be as identical as possible, for ease of construction, and to make
it easy to swap receivers if there are problems.

b.      Handle a set number of pads, such as six like the existing system.

c.       Have audio and perhaps visual alerts indicating its status.

d.      Have continuity test buttons for each pad.

e.      Have a battery inside the case. The battery would be easily
replaceable.

f.        Have a case with a lid that can be shut while the launch wires are
attached. That way, if weather hits, we would simply close the lids. Perhaps
we could use a modified tool box.

g.       At least some of the receivers should be set up so that a larger
external battery can be connected if needed.

h.      Have a handle for easy carrying, and not be too heavy.

8.       Any electronics will have to be able to withstand a wide range of
temperatures. It gets HOT out on that lakebed in the summer.

Chris Feenstra

NAR #61291

Tripoli #9123

Level 2