[racattack] Re: RAC Attack Automation Project

  • From: Alvaro Miranda <kikitux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:57:03 +1200

i did work for oracle support in the past and on the same floor we had
different support groups for ebusiness suite, each group needed different
installation based on the module they support but every group needed a base ol5
.

for this i did create an custom iso, someone put the iso on a desktop or vm,
boot the machine and just few questions were asked like hostname, password and
partition layout, then  using pre and post features on a kickstart file called
by default, the installation did a base setup ready to run install ebs.

other example is for my previous employer i did a custom ol6 iso that took care
of all the pre-requirement for all the products in our shop, so any  vm created
will have all the required for db112 db121 weblogic obiee etc

for this effort i see i can create 2 isos, one just a boot iso  that will start
and require then put the official 6.4 or a modified 6.4 that can have a custom
logo ( will do my best ) and give few options on the screen, say:

- setup this as hub collabn1
- setup this as hub collabn2
- setup this as flex collanf1

you get the idea

back to email thread, as i see it,  today we have

- totally manual setup. following the book.
pros: you learn a lot, copy and paste from the book helps
con: difficult start for people who hans't used virtualbox before or is not
confortable using linux command line. sometimes copying long lines or end of
line cause the file to not work as expected

in car tuning they call stages when you tune your car

- stage 1 create a zip file with all the files modified on the book. so someone
can create the vms download the file, unzip at root level and overwrite default
ones or copy manually

- stage 2 create a yum repo or boot disk to use ol64 or ol63 and get some speed
up on the setup, following a recipe book like book.
pros. will be able to be used by virtual box, vmware or hyper v . guest os will
be always linux

- stage 3 .. ????

- stage 4 .. ????

- automation with vagrant. vagrant up and ready to unzip and run runInstaller
pros: time saver to setup the os level. allow you start direct on runInstaller
or add more nodes to one existing install ( os level only)
con: you miss the fun of doing it your self