[racattack] Re: RAC Attack Automation Project

  • From: Alvaro Miranda Aguilera <kikitux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 15:07:26 +1200

Hello,

For the Automation project, the actual image is an 6.4 installation updated
using UEK_latest and OL6_latest to April 07th.

In the next quarter, Oracle May release a new UEK2 and pump version like
2.6.39-500 and depending on the actual acfs it may load (if they have
2.6.39-*) or may fail , (if they have 2.6.39-100/200/300/400)

When the new kernel came out, I will report back (or anyone can test and
report back)

At the moment, the automation project is done in 2 components, one is the
vm image (vagrant box) .. that have all included for those wanting to show
this in a conference center without internet, and 2nd component are the
Vagranfile and script hosted in github, The actual vagrant box image, works
out of the box, and don't require any update, it just works.

I keep an eye on the list and proposal of new labs, and will update the
image in case a new RPM XYZ is required, but so far, so good.

The Vagrantfiles and the scripts on github, have received some minimal
updates based on feedback from Leighton and Jeremy, and I am about to push
some further improvements that will allow the creation of new labs a bit
faster, I foresee the weekend for those (long weekend hehehe :) )

If there is a requirement to have a consistency, we may default to some
particular version, say 6.4 DVD, the only extra rpm required could be
oracle-rdbms-preinstall, all the rest from DVD should be enough.. if this
step is required, I have created a Vagrant Box 6.4, with no extra patches,
that I haven't yet tested since the 6.4 patched to 6.5 as April 07th
works.. But I can default to this 6.4 frozen version, provide all the rpms
and update the wiki.

Actually, that is a pretty good point since anyone at home may download a
6.5 iso, boot, and will be using UEK3 kernel version 3,8 and ACFS won't
work.. and move to UEk2 may be PITA for some people who just want something
out of the box.

Alvaro.