[pure-silver] Re: update on new venture into Large format

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:23:52 -0700

There is a pretty good summary of leather and its preservation at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_and_restoration_of_leather_objects
Also see:
https://www.jcms-journal.com/articles/10.5334/jcms.3972/
Also:

https://mgnsw.org.au/sector/resources/online-resources/collection-care/preservation-historic-leather-including-saddlery/

I can't find the site with the Forrest Service research on it. It was a site dedicated to preservation of, among other things, photographs. I probably have the URL on another machine which is out of service at the moment.
In any case most of the leather treatments one finds recommended are actually damaging to leather. Cleaning is best done with a soft, damp cloth.