[pure-silver] Re: update on new venture into Large format

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:12:12 -0700

WD-40 is not a very good lubricant. Liquid Wrench is a better penetrating oil but where things are a bit stiff sometimes a small amount of naphtha will dissolve the old lubricant and loosen it up. Follow that with about 20 weight machine oil. This is available as 3-in-one oil in the BLUE can. The RED can is the familiar penetrating oil, again not a good lubricant. The Blue can stuff is good machine oil. Where you want to control the amount I found applying with a small artist's brush works well. The oil, by itself, may work.

On 4/11/2019 2:58 AM, Laurence Cuffe (Redacted sender cuffe for DMARC) wrote:

When I got my Technica, most of the movements were a bit stiff or frozen. I suspect it had spent many years ope, just sitting on a shelf. I gradually cleaned it using very small quantities of petrol, terps, acetone and whatever other likely solvents came to mind. It took a while. I then lubricated it with wd 40, which, at that time, I thought of as a magical universal lubricant.
It now works fine, but I’m not sure that I would adopt that she cavalier attitude to the restoration as I did back then. (it was pre-internet… when you still had t use books to find things out!)
Best
Laurence Cuffe

--
Richard Knoppow