[pure-silver] Re: [lens] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: Kent Gibbs <kent_gibbs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:41:22 -0800 (PST)

 Wilhelm is an independent researcher.  In fact the he and Kodak are in
disagreement about testing methods.  Kodak thinks his testing is too stringent.
 Kodak did not fair as well as they would have liked.

  The simple fact (not belief) is that prints made with carbon based inks are
far more environmentally stable than silver based prints.  I saw a print made
with a third party carbon based quad toned ink, printed on an Epson printer
that had spent two weeks under saltwater and 4 months baking in the New Orleans
sun.  The mattes were destroyed but the image still looked as good as the day
it was printed.  No silver based print would have survived.

 With that said though, I do love silver.

Kent