[pure-silver] Re: [lens] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:49:36 -0400

Also

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/HP_International_B9180_Press_Release.pdf

    Henry Wilhelm, Wilhelm Imaging Research Inc., (WIR) said, "With WIR Display
Permanence
    Ratings of more than 200 years, prints made with the HP Photosmart Pro
B9180 A3+ Photo
    Printer, Vivera pigment inks, and select HP glossy photo papers and matte
fine art papers set
    a new benchmark for overall colour print permanence. When displayed framed
under glass,
    prints made with the new printer, inks, and papers are among the
longest-lasting prints in the
    entire 130-year history of colour photography.

    "To put this achievement in perspective, displayed prints made with the HP
B9180 and Vivera
    pigment inks are five times more stable than the best of all current
traditional dye-based silver
    halide colour prints, Fujicolor Crystal Archive prints (WIR rated at 40
years) -- and more than
    ten times longer lasting than Kodak Edge Generations and Royal Generations
prints (WIR
    rated at 19 years)."

Pigment prints will last longer than the original colour films.

Kodak says (
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/storage_cond.jhtml ):

    Actually, only safety film (triacetate or polyester base), which carries
silver images, can be
    used for extended life expectancy records-500 years for polyester base and
100 years for
    acetate. In some cases, there may be a combination of nitrate and acetate
base films, with
    either silver or dye images, that have great historical value. You may need
to preserve these
    different films even though you can't afford the expense to go through the
separation method.
    The first thing that must be done is to segregate acetate and nitrate films
for storage, because
    the two film bases do not mix, and nitrate is not suitable for any
permanent storage record.
    Acetate base films can be chemically attacked by the gases given off by the
decomposing,
    unstable nitrate-base films. There is no need to segregate black and-white
and color films that
    have the same type of base.

This assumes cold dry storage. Pigment prints would last even longer in these
conditions.

The reason "pigment" ink jet inks last is that they are stable chemicals. Dyes
are very unstable,
and silver is subject to oxidation. The substrate also matters - the paper (or
film) has to be very
stable and neutral.

Of course, bits can be propagated forever, but the medium & technology change
every decade or
two.

Happy New Year, tOM

On Monday, January 01, 2007 at 17:47,
Speedy . <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrot

> Well, pigment ink jet prints are already far more permanent than our
> chemical colour photos, and perhaps even more long-lived than our
> silver prints and negatives. Besides, it's such a hassle doing
> separations....
>
> Happy New Year, tOM
>
> ---------------------------------------
> My resolution was to stay away from this debate in '07 and forward,
> and that is still my intention.
>
> BUT, couriosity has gotten the best of me.  Where, pray tell, did
> this information come from and exactly how reliable is the source?

---

          -- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier, 758 Albert St,
 _-\_<,         Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.41235 W75.71345 +1 613 860-6633
                Seattle: +1 206-203-2820
                Abacurial Information Architecture
                            SETI stats

                This world, after all our science and
             sciences, is still a miracle; wonderful,
                inscrutable, magical and more, to
               whosoever will think of it. --Thomas
                             Carlyle