[pure-silver] Re: [lens] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:21:12 +0100

Peter

Don't forget that digital has changed the photographic world. People are so
passionate, because some see their territory threatened or their painfully
obtained experience rendered obsolete. How many films, have gone since
digital, how many papers, manufacturers, you name it. It's not about being
tolerant anymore, and it's not about leaving people to make their own choice
either. To many, digital is a real threat. It has merciless killed analog
choices. It has changed photo clubs all over the world and has driven valued
experts into a photographic no-man's land. Digital is not tolerant!

To me, it's a bit of a threat too (Photokina for example isn't worth going
anymore), but it has some good points too. It separated the serious guys
from the snap shooters. The snappers went digital, good, I won't miss 'em.
The serious guys are left and they are more serious than ever. Also, they
are now much easier to spot.

On the other hand, combining digital and analog has gotten to little
attention. The dividers above are one reason for that. It will change,
television didn't kill the radio, photography didn't kill painting, but the
old world is gone, at least for now.

I wish we would have kept the digital guys away from the photo clubs though.
Why did they never bother the painters?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com