[pure-silver] Re: finding a new paper

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:56:47 -0600

Shannon Stoney wrote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I am trying to find a paper that substitutes for Agfa multigrade FB. Today I tried Forte polygrade FB, but so far I don't really like it. Maybe I need to try different dialings on the color head, but the images look sort of flat to me, with poor separation in the highlights. If I try for more contrast, they get too dark in the shadows.

Ctein talks about this in his book Post Exposure. The short explanation is that Agfa papers were better matched to films with greater highlight contrast (such as TMax 100).
I've found the same thing in my own printing. I have a stash of Ilford Gallery that sat unused for years because I didn't like the highlight rendition. Last year, I started a project using Delta 3200, and now I find the Gallery to have great highlights. You just need to match the curve of the paper to the curve of the film.
Now that I know this, I can start shooting films that have more of a shoulder, but I still want a paper that can print years' worth of negatives shot on TMax.

My negatives are on TXP. And I did have them perfectly matched to Agfa paper, using hte BTZS system. When I finish my current project, I will expose a step tablet on Forte Warmtone and find out what its scale is , and then, I guess, start shooting for that.

I wonder if it's true that somebody will keep making Agfa Neutol WA, or if I should calibrate everything to a new paper developer too? I got some of that Zonal Pro warmtone paper developer too, to see what it would look like.

--shannon