[pure-silver] Re: Yellow edges

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 04:43:57 -0700 (PDT)

IF these are are all different emulsions, then the
non-stopping stop bath and poor fixing with too early
light exposure seem most likely suspects.

It seems that many here expose their prints to white
light during the fixing process and reading Richards
post one may get the impression it is ok....

But I seem to recall that too early exposure to white
light may lead to formation of insoluble complexes of
some sort... details escape me at this early hour, but
pehaps these may result in yellow staining(?)anyway, I
would never expose my own (exhibition quality prints)
before the full time has been given.

Since you do, it seems in a hurry to see what you got
(anyone not guilty of this ?!!)perhaps you are also
pulling the print up out of the developer to inspect
it during development?

In some emulsions this can can cause serveer staining
due to aeiral oxidation.... often quite yellowish.

Anyway, the one point I can't see being explained by
most of these possible causes is the edge only
effect...

What happens if you cut the (old) edges off, and made
a smaller print? Would the 'new' edges still yellow?

Not haveing anything else to go on,
at this point I would consider using all fresh
chemistry and keeping the lights off till the end.

Good luck.

Ray