[pure-silver] Re: Yellow edges

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 00:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Old handbooks often give very long times for fixing,
on the order of 15 or 20 minutes for both film and
paper. I think there are two reasons for
this.

One was to try to insure complete fixing where
slopping processing practice was used.

The other reason is perhaps more obscure:
> it is to insure complete _hardening_.

Richard,
I think it might be possible that at least in some
cases, thicker gelatin layers and or higher iodide
content may have played some part in this.

The first PRINT FILM I made required greater than what
we now call normal fixing times. There are several
factors involved and without knowing certain parameter
details, I don't think it is really possible to state
authoratitatively which factors were the main ones at
work.

Ray