[pure-silver] Re: Toning Question

  • From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:08:10 -0500

Justin F. Knotzke a écrit :

Thanks Per. I am going to see what my local shop has in terms of toner.

I'll simply experiment.

   One question though, does the toner stop working quickly after it's been
rinsed off, or do it keep working for a while after? I want know how quickly I
have to chuck the paper in the sink for.

Your toning sample looks rather greenish to me. I'll doubt you'll get this with sulphide toner on a normal paper. Some papers were known to offer greenish tones (I think that old Seagull Oriental did under certain circumstances, but I believe that most have disappeared now. A sure thing is that Ilford paper will give you browns that are more on the red side than on the green side.

I a two bath toner, the image normally redevlops in less than a minute; in brown toners or selenium, the color change is usually much slower (it tones to completion in five minutes or so in most papers, but beware of some warm east european papers!) and for all practical purposes, the process comes to an abrupt halt when you rinse the print.

Stop worrying and give toning a try. It's fun and easy.

And BTW, my photo club, which is 15 minutes away from your place, had a toner workshop last week, where we mixed and tried several toners. We even tried some split toning. The chemistry is still fresh enough in its bottle. Tomorrow we'll have another workshop on paper developers. Hint, hint...

PG