[pure-silver] Re: Toning Question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:03:31 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 1:36 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Toning Question

Using the two step Sepia toner the first step bleaches the metallic silver to a very insensitive (slow) silver bromide. (I've run some tests in direct sunlight and it is possible to expose and photodevelop some grains but not a lot.) The second step brings the image back as silver sulfide. (pheww) Since this is a rate reaction and time plays a factor it is possible that some ionic silver will not be converted. Protect your prints from photodeveloping by fixing them with fix afterwards. Then since the emulsion has gone though some softening I think you will find a hardener useful.

Dave

The chance of photolytic silver seems to be the reason that current Kodak instructions suggest toning under a safelight. I suspect this is overkill. It would be interesting to try exposing a bleached but not redeveloped print to direct sunlight to see what would happen. Might be an interesting effect.
Also, some photolytic silver might affect the image color slightly but would the presence of silver halide in the image cause problems with image degration, it does in normal processing, vis staining when prints are not fully fixed. Toned print usually do not show this effect but OTOH, it might be masked by the overall image color.

---