[pure-silver] Re: Toning Question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:53:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Per Ohstrom" <ohstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 11:25 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Toning Question

Thanks, Richard, for answering my question before I asked it! But I didn't receive your message until now. So, you say that HCA is recommended after Viradon and KBT. Does that affect the long term permanence of the print or is it just for avoiding stains?

Per

Its to avoid stains. I use HCA only because I have it and its easier than mixing up a sulfite bath. I have been experimenting with a combination toner made by mixing Kodak Selenium Toner and KBT. Results are good whether the HCA bath is used or not but the yellow color of the toner is immediately cleared in the HCA bath and there is no indication of staining or after toning at all.
Partial toning in KBT is used for image protection without any subsequent steps so tone prints should be pretty archival.

---