[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:09:17 -0500

What I do is, I try to find somebody who will sort the prints into piles: a good pile, a bad pile, and a mediocre pile. The person doesn't have to know much about photography. Most people can tell a good print from a bad print; once a kid who was about thirteen did this for me, and he had a great eye.

Of course if you can get an old photographer to do it, all the better.

I find that if I put the prints up on the wall over my desk and look at them every day, some of them grow on me and some don't. So I can tell that way which ones are really good.

One problem is if you have some attachment to the subject matter of a print, it's hard to separate that from the print itself. It's hard to know how somebody else will look at, say, a picture of your favorite tree with your favorite dog in front of it.

The thing is, some pictures will appeal to some people but not to others. De gustibus non disputandum est.

--shannon